Saturday, July 26, 2008

My last night, but not my last blog.

Okay. Honestly people, I don't feel enlightened at the moment. This is most likely caused by the frustration that I'm not sure I'll be able to fit everything into my suitcase, the anxiety that comes with the thought of a 20 hour day of travel tomorrow and the fact that before I knew it, my time in Athens was over.

I had my last tea house today. It was rough, but I don't think it's all going to hit me for about another week when I desire to kiss those cheeks, chase those kids and smell the smell of Athens. It is then that I will be able to wrap up my feelings and my thoughts. My exhaustion at the moment really is a good sign I believe.

At this morning's devotions I shared what my father shared with me in my encouragement journal for this trip. It was relevant for our ministry here in Athens and so I'd like to share it with you.

An Eschatological Vision by Dr. Lyle VanderWerff

A vision I have of earth’s inhabitants
The world made whole; humanity healed
Sons and daughters reconciled to God and their neighbors
Brothers and sisters gather round the Messiah’s banquet.

Broken, bleeding, fragmented though created to be related
Image of God on human face scarred, marred, disgraced
Serpent’s subtle lie bought; sin’s sickness caught
Sexuality, love, labor lost; earth’s terrible cost.

Towers mortared, nations scattered; severed, shaken, shattered
Yet Yahweh’s covenant calls to patriarch, prophet, peoples
New community generated; family with faith imbued
Prototype of true humanity; transcending ethnic boundary

Humans of the globe unite; your liberator resurrected lives
Good news breaks the dawn with rising sun earth wakes
A glorious kingdom comes; join the ranks of vision
Pilgrims moving with mission; international host of Christ


Amen. Expect a lengthy blog once I get my bearings back in the states. But until then, I want to say thank you. Thank you for reading, for encouraging and most of all for praying. I am certain that this experience would have not been so life-inspiring for me if it was not for the support I had back home. I cannot wait to share my stories and pictures with all of you.

Pray for safe travel and a joyous reunion with all my family back in Denver while also remembering all my refugee friends who will be attempting to blend in with the tourists and make it to their next stop on the highway.

Now it's bathroom cleaning time.... See you in the good ol' U S of A!

No comments: