Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's around that time.


During this whole blog process I worried that I might run out of things to say. Quite honestly things here in Athens have been moving full steam ahead and I've really gotten used to life as an Athenian. I can find any spot on the metro map, I know the best place to buy a 2 Euro souvlaki, I can say the basic words and phrases (even find myself smacking my lips for 'no' like the Greeks) and even though I still sweat a whole lot more than the Athenians, the heat isn't bothering me too too much.

And just as I get comfortable in living and in the ministry I realize that I will be leaving this place and much of what I've thought of as comfort at home will now become weird. There are things I won't miss, like the large roaming dogs, our neighbors who dry octopus and fish overnight (filling our bedroom with a less than desirable smell) or how my clothes fit improperly because they haven't seen a dryer in weeks. And then there are the small things that I'm going to miss like the hand-held shower head (once my greatest enemy), Greek salad and gelato...but I'm getting ahead of myself...I've still got just over two weeks to embrace all that is Athens....


We ended with Sunday morning....After Lee and I rested (our legs were tired from all the wandering about attempting to find our church) we got ready for Persian Christian Fellowship. We were expected to keep the children very quiet while the rest of the adults had a very serious and meditative time of worship. It's a really big deal for most of these refugees to step into the ARC during PCF. For many it's basically leaving your family behind to follow Christ; it's a pretty big deal. All those who lead it take it very seriously, so when we were summoned to the kitchen to help we were expected to be very very quiet. We dished up the meal for that evening...a stew of potatoes and the hearts/liver of some animal (I ate it...I liked the Egyptian koshari better). Regardless of whether the motivation for coming is the meal, the message they all receive is clear: life in Christian community is just that much better. It was a pretty great evening.

Monday I finally got to see the Acropolis. I don't want to disappoint you all, but well, it was a little anti-climactic. It was pretty great of course...I mean, walking around stuff that existed before Christ is pretty amazing, but there were loads of people and even more strict Greeks with whistles shouting at anyone standing near a rock they weren't supposed to. It was a sight and we got some good shots...something you have to do while in Athens, but once is enough. :) We liked wandering the shops in Plaka a bit more!

Tuesday was another tea house day. The short-term team of college students from California arrived safely and weren't even all that jet-lagged for their first tea house. I spent my time playing checkers (a child's variation on the game) and also helped out in English class. It was a good tea house though! Today we went to the beach for team meeting (which was necessary because of how hot it's been this week). My tan is pretty great, I'll be honest...but even without the beach the sun is just that much stronger here! I was also stung by a jellyfish...now that my spider bit has been healed, I have a new ailment... I'm sure it will be fine!

We planned out the next few weeks at the meeting. They sound full, which pleases me! Thanks for all the prayers and your support! I'll do my best to keep you updated in more regular intervals for these last few days!

No comments: