Sunday, July 6, 2008

Highlights of Week Four

Location: Living room of our apartment
What I'm watching: Crazy/random/old music videos (they love Britney Spears, Madonna and Mariah Carey here in Greece)
Where I've been: Church (Lee and I walked up and down the streets of Athens looking for it, but we got there just in time to hear the end of the sermon and receive communion)
Where I'll be going: Persian Christian Fellowship (a church service hosted by Persian Christians every other week at the ARC...last week it was the Russians, this week, the Persians)
What's bugging me: A large spider bite on the back of my leg (please pray that it heals quickly)

Thursday was another women's shower day. This week was much smoother than last week (less women came and the heat wasn't unbearable). One refugee that we have all gotten close to has plans to make her way to Italy with her two children later this week. That means new clothes, short/modern hair cuts and anything to make their chance to get tickets easier. She burst into tears at the thought of leaving all her daughters here at the ARC. We do see these women and children so often that it's easy to think of them as friends and family, and then they leave. We all know it's for the best, but we can only pray that they are able to find the same TLC in their next stop on the highway.
Friday night was a special Arabic Entertainment Night hosted by a group of people from Cairo, Egypt that had worked with us all week. They were great and the night was a pure success! All Arabic-speaking refugees were invited and had time to play some games like a song competition and a blindfolded find the cup game (reminded me of hide the thimble, Nan!). There was lots of laughter, which was beautiful. After a message and goose-bump producing drama everyone was invited to share in some authentic Egyptian food, koshari. I loved it!
Oh! And on the way to the ARC on Friday I ran into some pretty special people! Fellow SOSers Meggan and Chelsea found the ARC while they were taking some time off from their ministry on a Greek island. It was so great to see a familiar face, hug and share a little bit of our summers! It was a short visit, but I was so happy to see some people I knew and who knew me!!

Saturday was another tea house, but we were joined by the Egyptian team and another family team from the United States. Lots of help made the work of handing out food, etc. quite easy. I sat in on English class again. I've found the most joy while working with the class on their new vocabulary. Yesterday we learned body parts and ailments, pretty practical stuff. I'm teaching the class next week (eek!) and think I'll build off that lesson. Knowing how to say what hurts is pretty important I think.

I can't believe that I've only got three weeks to finish out here in Athens. And a full three weeks they are going to be. The plan is to visit the Acropolis tomorrow (finally!), then a full week of work (with planning the English lesson included). We have a team of college students arriving from CA tomorrow, so please pray for their safe travel!
I continue to recognize how good God is here in Greece (and in general). Some days the work seems too draining, but then I find myself sitting with pure joy in my heart, knowing that the spirit is at work. I have been provided with continued safety, health and fellowship (both from persons here and contact with all of you at home). For all of that I am very grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey eli!
i am glad you finally get to do a little bit of sightseeing!
you sound super busy but i hope that makes your last three weeks fly by!
miss you
jessica

Anonymous said...

Eli,
Sunday,we were encouraged to remember you in our prayers and then as I read your blog,so many prayers surfaced. What great work you are doing this summer! Thanks for helping us see a part of the world that we probably can't even comprehend. Our prayers are with you!