Saturday, July 12, 2008

I understand petunias

With two weeks left here in Athens I find myself all over the place mentally, spiritually and the like. My focus is on my flight to Denver more than I'd like, but that feeling isn't surprising considering the lessons I've learned here. It's nice to have a place to call home [even though Denver isn't technically 'home' it's a place of safety and love]. These refugees do not have such a luxury; I am so blessed.

Working in this ministry has challenged a solid part of who I am. I love to make lists. Writing out my tasks for the day, the week, the month gives me great comfort and joy. I love it when I have things to do for every minute of every day. But newsflash! ministry work in general, but especially here in Athens, isn't about doing; it's about being. I have to be okay with just sitting with women, coloring with kids, pouring tea or simply praying. This means the work isn't physically exhausting, but mentally it's killer. It's frustrating to work each day and not really 'see' results. There aren't really results to be found, for the purpose of refugee-in-transition work is to simply provide simple needs and then say good-bye. It's rough.

Luckily, I've been able to talk to my Dad about all this frustration. Doing this ministry stuff for 20 years has given him a bit of wisdom on the subject and I've been so thankful for the understanding I've gained from something my mom and dad have known all along. See, many of our home videos from Yakima have extended minutes of pictures of the petunias my dad planted in front of our home. Sure, the thousands of pink and purple flowers were beautiful, but it's humorous considering you can hear the little voices of Jenna and I calling out for some camera time of our own. It isn't until now that I realize that there is a desire to see results in something, anything when working in a 'just be' ministry. This mission work is a lot more complicated than most realize. And really Dad, the petunias were very very beautiful.

While this type of work doesn't come very easy for me, for my roommate Almira, this work is truly her calling. These past couple of weeks have been stressful for Almira as she goes back and forth from the police to the bank and back to the police in order to extend her visa. So many doors are closing, so please pray that Almira catches a break.

There will be more to come later. I'm off to tea house (I teach English today!). I will fill you in on more stories (with pictures) tomorrow. Have a wonderful Saturday, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,

Petunias do what we all should - bloom where we are planted. You're offering the beauty of your "just being" everywhere you go, you're just not seeing it. It's there. You're blooming.

Love,
Nan