Friday, July 25, 2008

Blondes and Almira

Yesterday was my last Shower Day. At the beginning of my time I don't think I would ever say that showers were the day of the week I ever looked forward to. It gets so hot with three showers running constantly for 4 hours straight and children running around and tea being brewed, but yesterday I decided that it was showers that helped me connect on a different level to these women and children.

We decided to go to the ARC earlier yesterday, 12:30, so we could lay out pairs of shoes for the women to rummage through. When we arrived the majority of the women were already upstairs ready to shower even though showers don't technically start until 2:00. They so look forward to this time that they're waiting and ready by 11. We got started early, which was a good thing because yesterday seemed to be one of those crazy days. The kids were just incredibly hyper and everyone seemed to be in genuine good spirits which meant lots of laughter.

Much of the conversation centered around the fact that two of my friends, 'R' and 'A' had dyed their hair the night before. At tea house on Tuesday I had noticed that they were doing a lot of pointing to my own, blonde hair, but I hadn't put it together that they would be attempting the same color job I wear myself. These beautifully dark brown haired women didn't have the exact results, obviously. The story, told in Farsi of course but easily translated, was one that I've lived through many times myself. They told of the shrieks they had when they washed the peroxide out only to discover that their hair was a bright orange. They laughed and laughed, and looked at my hair and shook their heads.
R and A are two of my favorite women (I know, I have a lot of favorites). R is the woman I described on an earlier post as the woman who fainted out of exhaustion and potential concussion at a previous Shower Day. She's 24 years old and has two beautiful little girls. 'A', 28, was pregnant with her third child when I first met her. I love holding her newborn son, plastic bag diaper and all. Both are wonderful mothers and show so much love to their children. R and A plan to attempt a trip to Italy in the coming week. I can't imagine traveling with five children, but they are strong, so strong. Looking back on this experience I know that my thoughts and memories will always rest on the refugees and the global issue that remains as this mass movement of people simply cannot be ignored. However, there is one person placed into my life that I will never forget, either. My roommate, Almira.

I've written about her before, but I just want to emphasize the impact she's had on my life. Here I was, scared to death and plopped into Athens where I was told I'd be living with this random woman from Russia. Um, okay, I thought. Soon it was me and Almira, trekking around the Mall, the Olympic Stadium and back and forth from work everyday. Initially I was hesitant and wasn't sure if we'd really be able to connect. Almira's English is very good, but there is still translation issues and we couldn't really enjoy the same television shows (even though she loves Friends as much as I do), so building a relationship didn't seem like it would be very easy. With time, I realized that Almira was one of the most amazing people I will ever come in contact with. She cooks for me, teaches me how to cook, tells me when to clean and I tell her where we have to be and when. We make a pretty great team and have an amazing time whenever we're together.

Almira was raised in a Muslim family in Moscow and her parents don't really understand what the heck she's doing here in Athens. She loves her family dearly however, and is the best aunt to her nieces. She lives and moves with the spirit. She's genuine in everything she does. She laughs when things are funny (and sometimes when they're not) and she loves and hugs with such ease. I will look back on our memories with sincere fondness and am so grateful for Skype and Facebook so we will easily stay in contact with each other. Continue to pray for Almira. With the extension of her visa (a serious miracle) she will stay in Athens for another 3 months. I cannot imagine this experience without her. She has taught me so much, how to love and serve and never give up.


She and I stay up late watching YouTube videos. Our favorites are music videos...our favorite song, Be Thou My Vision. Almira sings it in the shower and while washing dishes and if my trip had a soundtrack, this would be the first track. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYVnd0HaLSc


I'm on my way to debriefing with Carolyn and climbing Lykavitos Hill. Tomorrow is my last tea house and my last day in Athens. Expect a long blog. [Again.] :)

No comments: