Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ladies, ladies, ladies

I realized today that while I very much desire to spend time with my friends back at home, it's going to be very difficult to say good-bye to my friends here. I will miss looking at these beautiful faces.

Thursday was a very special Shower Day because we got to pass out some very special underwear in a package that came from Commerce City, CO (thanks, Aunt Jolene!!). The women were giddy and had no problem trying the bras on for size (there is no shame at showers, and that's something we're proud that we can provide).

A few pics:


Before I tell you all about today I would like to note that we saw the new Batman movie here last night (that was Thursday night, a good 24 hours before any of you in the states, booyah!).


But today, Friday, may have been one of my favorite days yet here in Athens.

Today was set aside for a Women's Retreat Day. For men's retreats they are able to go away, out of Athens, but because with women comes children, our plans have to be adjusted. We invited specific women (those whom we have built relationships with recently and who seem curious about who we are as women, but more specifically Christian women). There were 8 women and 14 children total. We all gathered at Donna's house and then sent the children off to the park (not alone, with our short-term team from CA).

You could tell these women were just delighted to be there. They were all wearing make-up and many had on shoes I'd never seen before. They drank their tea and ate their muffins with the most joy I'd ever seen. We had a translator there for the day, so we all made introductions, you know, name, where you're from, how long you've been in Greece. It was at the moment that I said I have a week left that I got that crazy, this really sucks that I have to leave you all, feeling and I don't imagine it going away (ever, if I can help it).


We all fellowshipped with one another, complete with the delayed laughs while words went through translation. We then had time to open up the Bible and talk about God. The theme for the day was HOPE. I was incredibly excited for this because if I were asked to take only one word to describe my life or to live by, it would be hope. So here I was, sitting in Greece, surrounded by these Afghan/courageous/beautiful/intelligent women/mothers/widows and I discovered hope. As 'H' (one of my favorite ladies) openly described how God has shown her hope even in the most desperate of situations I was reminded that even though she (a Muslim) and I (a Christian) have grown up calling God two different names, this one God provides all the same. The sovereign God I believe in is at work in all people. Her words, her wisdom were so encouraging for me...these women get it.


After our bible study we got out beads to make a variety of bracelets, necklaces, you name it. I swear these women have a better eye for colors and patterns than we Americans. With ease they can make necklaces we pay ridiculous amounts of money for in the mall. It's quite impressive. Two of the women who had worked from 8 the night before until 7 in the morning before meeting right away to come to the Women's Day (proof of their excitement) took naps, and I couldn't blame them.


We then left Donna's and met up with the kids to have lunch...a delicious Iranian meal of rice, vegetables and a curry-like (but not curry) chicken. Delicious! More time to fellowship with the women, and I was especially happy to get some time with the kids. It was a wonderful day with friends and fellowship, something everyone can use a little more of.


Also, praises for my roommate Almira who got an extension on her visa! After many days of paperwork, police stations and bank accounts, it's official that she will stay for another 3 months. God is good (and really, a miracle worker).

With a bright hope for tomorrow, I will post again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Eli!
i just wrote an email update...which included feelings of not wanting to leave the refugees i have grown close to while still longing to see family and friends...
it is only after i have started telling people that i am leaving that i realize how much i will miss the simple times, laughs and communication i share with these amazing people.
as you said, i long to continue to relationships when i return to missouri/iowa...i am hoping that it will be possible!
i hope you enjoy your last week in Athens!
love you
jess