Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My first day!

Hello all!

I woke up at 2:00 this morning. Talk about jet lag. Read a little and got a couple more hours of sleep before I had to get up at 7. The showerhead, which you have to hold up yourself, made a mess and got freezing cold. Not a good start. Alas, Carolyn came over to the house and we bought my metro ticket (10 Euros for access to all public transportation for seven days) and climbed aboard a very crowded light-rail train and made the twenty minute commute to downtown.

Omonia is very crowded and very run down. We walked a little ways (4 blocks) to the center and began preparing for the day. After introductions, devotions and prayer our team started getting the food bags ready. Consisting of eggs, olives, peppers and pita bread the refugees come in with a ticket to receive one for their family.

A group of 4th and 5th graders from the International School of Athens (that means they have learned English) arrived with donations and to help out for an hour or so. We opened the tea house at 11:45 and the people started streaming in. I was situated in the children's room and we colored the hours away. The kids don't speak English so the language barrier makes it interesting, but smiles and laughter translate easily.

Later I was able to help a woman with her English lesson, making sentences and reading outloud. I found it fascinating how difficult it became to explain what words like 'announce' and 'judge' meant. She was grateful for the help and I was just impressed by how much she'd learned in a mere three months.

Most of the refugees I chatted with today were from Afganistan. Their living conditions here in Greece are awful, so most hope to move on to Italy or Belgium, but without papers that is proving difficult.

The children grabbed me and Rachel (a student from Spring Arbor College and Allise Vugteveen's cousin...small world) to play a version of duck duck goose. It hurt my knees, but it was worth it. The kids show affection by pinching your cheeks (a little too hard sometimes), and I love it. The women and kids are so wonderful and are able to show their thanks and love without words with ease.

It was a long day, didn't get back to the house for lunch until 5:30, but after eating and a nap Stephanie and I are ready to sit in Irakilo's square (our neighborhood hub) for a frappe and to cheer on Greece in their game against Sweden!

Today was a good day, but I'm still not fully adjusted, so please pray for good sleep and healthy eating patterns.

No comments: