Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's Wednesday already!


Hello from a very warm Athens!

First of all, I would like to say a big huge thanks for everyone's emails/comments, etc. the past couple of days. Your encouragement and thoughts came at the perfect time. With lots of prayer I think I can see the light at the end of this homesick/culture shock tunnel. I will survive.

Tuesday was another tea house day. Some of the missionaries actually have family visiting this week, so it was fun to get to know them. (Kristin's parents are members of the RCA in Chicago, go figure!) I also realized that one of the biggest struggles in this adventure is the fact that I have had to ask millions of questions while also asking for help and direction. Truth is, I've taken the direction-giving question-answering role in most areas of my life (some of you know this more than others) and I think this form of "weakness" was really getting to me. I'm also realizing that I'm going to have to slow down. I've been filling my life with so many time wasters without making time to just be still. (Speaking of, does anyone know when LOST Season 4 is coming out on DVD?!) It's an adjustment, but at this time in my life, with the 'real world' just one year away, time to be still and think is just what I need.

I got to spend more time with the children and also in the kitchen on Tuesday. I've already made a few friends (kids love anyone that shows up more than once). We brought out some puzzles (I thought of you Grandma Josie) and had fun even though there were five pieces missing in the end. Some kids get easily discouraged, for the opportunities for intellectual stimulation are incredibly limited. It was fun, but my next goal will be to organize the puzzles and games. What a mess!

That evening Almira and I took the metro and bus over to Themis and Donna's home. We made (rather, Donna taught us how to make) a traditional Greek dinner, dolmadas. I have pictures to prove that I helped, Jenna. And was quite successful. Basically it's meat, rice, mint and onions wrapped in grape leaves then topped with an egg lemon sauce. Delicious. The fellowship was also wonderful. It was nice to chat about those strange church issues that I most often do at home. I am realizing more and more that I'm quite more 'liberal' than the typical missionary. I mean, we can all agree that the church (or the typical American evangelical church...for the most part) constantly divides more than unites out of hypocritical judgment based on biblical issues. It was suggested however that pointing out parts of a person's life that are harmful (for example, prostitution or alcoholism) is one way to show Christ's love. I can agree with that, and for some of those issues it's all pretty clear. There other issues (say, homosexuality) that I wonder if Christ's love can't be shown a different way, free of judgment completely. ...That was a mess, but that's what I left Themis and Donna's house thinking about...and it made me feel good to have a familiar conversation (as atypical as it may be).


The food and the company last night were wonderful, which did great things for my mood and about settling down here in Athens. Today was prayer day at the ARC. From 10-4 (with a break for lunch of a slab of meat, tomato and french fries on a hoagie-like bun and gelato for dessert) the team got together and read through Philippians. While we read we picked out parts for prayer. Time went fast and it was really quite appropriate for where the entire ministry is at at this moment. I encourage you to take time and read a bit of it today.

We then took inventory of the food we have had donated (and that the mice haven't gotten into) so we can know what to buy on Friday. Friday morning I will wake up very early to get on the metro and meet Susie and Kate at Lidl (an inexpensive German grocery store here in Athens) and purchase the rest of the goods we'll need for the grocery give-away that afternoon. Families picked up tickets at tea house yesterday and are already excited for the package of beans, milk, macaroni, shampoo, etc. they'll receive. Tomorrow is a shower day and then I've been invited to eat with Brett and Kristin and their six month old daughter, Sophia. She's adorable.

So, that ended up longer than I intended, my apologies. I should ask if you have any questions...am I missing any details? Just let me know.

Again, thanks for everything, your prayers, etc. Some of you have also been wondering about sending things this way. Due to the expense and time it would take to retrieve it from customs, best packages are light and worth less than $50. Baby clothes and items are very expensive here, so those are always in need. And like I've mentioned before, underwear is always welcome. If you'd like an address or anything, drop me an email.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi eli!
it sounds like your time in Athens is getting easier as you spend more time there and get to know people.
my experience in Seattle taught me that although the beginning is really hard and seems like it will never end once the initial homesick phase wears off it is AMAZING to get to know the refugees. they have so much love to offer and so much space to receive love. it is truly amazing to work with them!
i hope you continue to feel better in Athens. the food sounds GREAT!
miss you!
jess

Jillian said...

Eli, ditto to your comment about taking time to simply be, time to slow down. That seems to be the struggle in my life often! A longer email will be forthcoming. :)