Monday, June 9, 2008

Location: Athens, Greece

Greetings!

I arrived safely in Athens, with my luggage, only a half hour late.

Woke up at 3:00 a.m. to the sound of tornado sirens in Council Bluffs, but with the help of some amazing girls (Thanks again Kalie and Laura) I made it to the airport and departed without a hitch.

It finally hit me that I was off on my own to a city I knew hardly anything about and a language I couldn't speak...all alone. I spent most of my layover in Philadelphia weeping, much to my discouragement. I was for sure that I would feel all Ms. Independent (cue Kelly Clarkson), but feeling overwhelmed and weak is all part of the process, and I think it was good I felt it.

I ate some food (to please Aunt Jane) and was given the chance to chat with a great couple on their honeymoon. Just talking made me feel much better and I thanked them for their kindness. Paul then said, "The Father puts people into your life at just the right time." This same phrase had come up so many times this past year (Sara James...) and so I knew it meant something.

After a ten hour plane ride I was greeted by Carolyn and Kenn (leaders of ITeams Athens/Helping Hands). We found our way to the apartment...driving in Athens is crazy. The cars are just like in the US, but the streets are nuts. Pedestrians NEVER have the right of way and motorcyles do whatever they want. Pretty dangerous, but all part of the adventure I suppose.

Carolyn oriented me to the neighborhood and my apartment. I will be sharing it with women in and out over the summer. One woman, Almira, is from Russia and loves to cook, which was perfect for my empty stomach. Stephanie, from Ohio, is here on a cultural studies internship and we are already having a great time grocery shopping and discussing Irrestible Revolution. An answer to prayers for sure.

After some Starbucks I'll be sure to stay awake for some time yet, but when it wears off the sleep will be great. I will wake up at 7 and get ready to take the metro to Omonia, or downtown Athens where Carolyn will do some more orientation and then we will prepare for Tea House. I'm excited to meet the women and children...I hear they are super cute!

Thank you for your prayers, I am convinced that it was what brought me here so smoothly. Please pray for my travel on the metro and around downtown (don't worry, Mom, our neighborhood is super safe).

This internet cafe is pretty great, so I suppose I'll come here often. It's fun to hear the local boys playing their computer games, shouting in Greek and jamming to this very techno Euro music.

Until next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eli! I am glad you made it to Athens safely. Please enjoy the city I love. I will be reading your updates and checking in on you. You're in my prayers and soak up every second of it.

Remember #1: There is always enough bread...haha.

Remember #2: You're loved from across the ocean.

Love Jess Regan

Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved to hear from you! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to hear your trip is off to a great start. keep us updated on your exciting adventures!

i'm praying for you!

you're awesome!