Monday, June 16, 2008

About this weekend.

So I have made it through my first weekend here in Athens. Today is Monday (and our day off) so it can be included. An overview:

Saturday:
Saturday's are a tea house day at the ARC, but unlike Tuesday we didn't provide any food. I worked in the kitchen instead of the children's room this time, just to get another view of the ministry. We brew three large pots of tea and then serve them through the window (either zahkahri (with sugar) or without. They all join together to fellowship with one another and some of our team (males with males, females with females) while a Christian evangelical video plays on the three televisions.

I also took this time to chat more with some of the people on the team. Honestly, there is a transition happening and so things appear to be a little tense, but I hope that with the break on Sunday and Monday some of that will blow over. The theology of the team also contradicts a bit with my own (but that's no surprise). If anything, it's making me think more and more about my own and being challenged within it. I'm sure more conversations on those details will ensue as one of the leaders is also curious about "why I'm a democrat"...oh boy...I just can't seem to get away from that question. haha.

After tea house a few of us team members and one Albanian immigrant went out for pork chops (Iowa chops win hands down) and gelato (and yes, it was real gelato, Jenna). It was nice to a see a more quiet side of the downtown.

Sunday:
Stephanie invited me to church with her at the Second Evangelical Church. It's in Greek so translation is through a headset. I really liked it though and hope to return next week.
After church I joined Stephanie, her OperiationMobilization host Joanna and four women from the UK here to help with this week's VBS for lunch. We took a long stroll past the Acropolis to a little alley cafe where Joanna ordered up the best of the Greek food. Greek salad, beet root, fried cheese, feta, fish, etc. etc. It was delightful and topped off with yogurt and honey (a Greek dessert).
I headed home and did some laundry and cleaned before making some supper. More realization that this is hardly a vacation. :)

Monday (Today):
I slept in...which was nice. I then met Stephanie down at the Acropolis where we ventured around. It appeared to be free admission today (it's Pentecost) so we climbed up to Mars Hill (where Paul preached, see Acts 17) and around the ancient market place. It was very hot so I didn't make Stephanie go up to the Acropolis again (I'll do that later with others who have never been), but it was just fascinating to be surrounded by architecture created in 'Bible Times'. We then wandered around Plaka, a cute little neighborhood where all the best souvenir shopping is done. It's almost 8:00 here so I'll head home before going to bed relatively early (tomorrow is tea house!).

Please pray that I continue to adjust to life on my own here in Athens. It's quite different from the comfortable life among 200 women in Stegenga Hall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I'm praying for you! Thanks for the updates - exciting stuff!

-sj

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've officially caught up on your blogging and I really want to help you do the bra/underwear drive! It's genius! I'm a personal fan of fantastic underwear. :)
praying for you!
-spowell

Anonymous said...

Now you know why Jenna and I can't stop talking about gelato...you'll never look at american ice cream the same :( I miss you and love you and am praying for you! -Coll...aka your other sister :)